Why ‘God’ Particle?
There is a dispute with ‘God Particle’ term being used for Higgs Boson Particle. How science can approve a God? The intellect will never allow approving the God because of an apprehension, the moment you approve God, you also approve so called religious scripture, superstitions and all other stuffs on which science can never agree. The same also happened to Buddha, he always avoided using the term ‘God’, he never agreed that God exists but it does not mean that he did not believe in God but he had some problem which science has today.
Does the God Particle mean that there is a particle which can lead us to Krishna, Jesus or Buddha? I don’t think so; however there is a God of Gods and all enlightened people talked in detail on this including many scientists, they have given different names and titles but they all talk about the same ‘conceptually’. They call it Consciousness, Super conciseness, Cosmic consciousness, Supreme Power, Nature, Bhraman, Nothingness, Zero, The ultimate truth, Infinite, Absolute, Ego, Prana, Akash, Prakash, Jyotimraya, Love and many more; the simplest definition, there is something which is universal and root cause of everything. I don’t possess enough knowledge to give a new name to it so I simply agree on word ‘God’.
There are thousands of books on this subject and our theosophical/philosophical books are flooded with many definitions about this consciousness and many scientists also confirmed its presence.
For example this is what the great Albert Einstein when asked by an astounded atheist, if he were in fact deeply religious, replied
“Yes, you can call it that. Try and penetrate with our limited means the secrets of nature and you will find that, behind all the discernible concatenations, there remains something subtle, intangible and inexplicable. Veneration for this force beyond anything that we can comprehend is my religion. To that extent I am, in point of fact, religious. “
— H. G. Kessler, The Diary of a Cosmopolitan, (London: Weidenfeld and Nicolson, 1971), p.157; quoted in Einstein and Religion by Max Jammer (Princeton University Press, 1999) pp. 39-40.
He also wrote in Albert Einstein’s Ideas and Opinions pp. 49 – 52.
“The interpretation of religion, as here advanced, implies a dependence of science on the religious attitude, a relation which, in our predominantly materialistic age, is only too easily overlooked. While it is true that scientific results are entirely independent from religious or moral considerations, those individuals to whom we owe the great creative achievements of science were all of them imbued with the truly religious conviction that this universe of ours is something perfect and susceptible to the rational striving for knowledge. If this conviction had not been a strongly emotional one and if those searching for knowledge had not been inspired by Spinoza’s Amor Dei Intellectualis, they would hardly have been capable of that untiring devotion which alone enables man to attain his greatest achievements.”
The great Spinoza whom he (Einstein) referred says “that there is only one substance, which is absolutely infinite, self-caused, and eternal”.
This is exactly why it is called God Particle; it takes towards the substance which is absolute and everywhere.The God particle is a missing link between mass and energy. There are many subatomic particles which has mass and few which does not have mass like photons. . The Higgs field is a theoretical and invisible energy that prevails the whole cosmos. It is said that you cannot observe this particle but you can find out its signature.
It has been a mystery both for science and philosophy that how a ‘form’ can be created from ‘formless’. It is a simple logical question, if something is created than there must be a source/reason, Science does not know anything which is self-evident. This is where God particle has a great importance. It leads to the direction where we have a particle which shows a mass or ‘effect’ of mass and lead in the direction to get answer of creation of a ‘from’ from ‘formless’
Here what , the atheist Czech physicist Luboš Motl thinks that, indeed, God Particle is a great name. And to justify it, he uses the Genesis (in italics), translating it to a scientifically accurate version (in bold):
1. In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth.
1. In the beginning, the Higgs field created, by interactions with itself, the unstable stationary point at the top and the stable stationary valley at the bottom of the potential.
2. And the earth was without form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters.
2. The symmetry-breaking vacuum was a sea of radiation without any internal structure; and electromagnetic interactions and light were previously mixed with the other electroweak gauge bosons. And the condensate of the Higgs field moved into the sea of radiation.
3. And God said, Let there be light: and there was light.
3. And the Higgs field had the quantum numbers to preserve the unbroken symmetry of light: and light particle remained light and probably massless.
4. And God saw the light, that it was good: and God divided the light from the darkness.
4. And the Higgs field was able to interact with light (via virtual loops of W-bosons and top quarks), i.e. to “see it”, and the vanishing tree-level interactions guaranteed that the quantum number sourcing the interactions via the exchange of virtual light particles was a good quantum number (called the electric charge).